Dextron vs. Dextron 3 for Power Steering Fluid?

Have a 1984 944 Porsche and the manual states to use "ATF-Dextron" for the Power Steering Fluid. I would think it is ok but just wanted to check if it is ok that I use Dextron-III Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid to refill the Power Steering tank???

Reply to
Al Franz

Mike Behnke

I doubt it. Read it again. Carefully.

There is no such fluid as "Dextron".

There's also no such fluid as "Dextron-III".

If you mean to ask if it's OK to use *Dexron* III, yes, it is.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Al - Why not call a couple of dealer service depts....just to be sure. Can't hurt.

--Paul

Reply to
Paul A.

Dexron III supercedes all previous Dexron. D-3 is better than the original Dex.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Better than that, Dexron III also supercedes all the way back to the pre-Dexron fluids including "Type A" transmission fluid.

Glad to see a few others have taken up the "there's no T in Dexron" banner, too :-)

Reply to
Steve