diagnostic software

Has anyone purchased diagnostic software? I was going to buy an OBDII reader (around $100), but then I thought about the diagnostic software for a laptop. There seem to be several vendors who are selling diagnostic setups for $350-$500 for home use.

I would appreciate any experience/recommendations you may have in using laptop diagnostics versus the dedicated handheld types. If you know of any reviews, that would be great too.

I started off just wanting to be able to get error codes on my wife's 00 Saturn LW2, but I also have an 03 Savana, so it would be used generally on newer GM vehicles. I have looked at some the diagnostic software screens and they show 160-200 different values, so it would be used to analyze and monitor engine functions on OBDII GM vehicles.

I probably only need one of the handheld OBDII readers, but I like the idea of having it loaded on the laptop with all the additional output like gas mileage, shift points, etc.

Again, the laptop versions probably are overkill, but I am a curious sort.

thank you,

old dirtbeard

Reply to
dirtbeard

Have a look at

. I have been using it for about a year and works ok....

Reply to
Qwack

His software looks the most professional out of all i have looked at. His Tricom hardware is nice in that it supports all protocols. I have read one complaint in this group about his lack of support after the purchase. Have you had any experience requiring support for this? One of the things i worry about before investing in hardware like this is how long will software updates be available. I would feel safer if the software was open source or there was a big company name behind the product.

Reply to
XXX