Difficulty Steering at low rpm

I own a '98 Chevy Cavalier (or does it own me?). Yesterday, after driving 35 miles on the highway, at the exit ramp, it became difficult to turn right. As the gas was applied, steering went back to normal. At the traffic light, same problem turning left.

At low rpms, the steering is extremely difficult (sort of like driving a car with no power steering). When the engine is at higher rpms, there is no difficulty with the steering. If the car is idling, same problem.

Synopsis: turning in either direction with no gas applied to the engine, steering is difficult. Any pressure on the gas pedal that increases the engine's rpm's returns the steering to normal.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Cas

Reply to
badgebunny116

Sounds like your accessory belt is slipping. It could also be that your car is idling too low when you're stopped... but I'm sure you'd notice the engine running poorly at those times.

Reply to
Noozer

Is your engine idle speed what it should be? Is your fluid level for power steering pump what it should be? Is your belt slipping on your power steering pump pulley? When was it last changed?

otherwise, there could be more serious trouble, but I would check those things first.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman