Directional & Asymmetrical Tires ?

Hi,

Great Newsgroup. Have learned a lot from you folks.

One question always seems to lead to others, after you get to think about it a bit.

a. I think I understand Asymmetrical, and Directional tires, and the mounting of them. All 4 tires as received from the factory would be identical; only the mounting of them on the car would be different. Correct ?

b. Are tires ever both Asymmetrical And Directional ? If so, I guess you would have to obtain from the factory two different tires, of the 4, for mounting in a single car. Correct ?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

A- No Asymmetrical tires have tread patterns that are designed so that each tread section is optimized for different functions. However they are usually not directional because you mount them as sets on each side.

Directional tires have directional tread pattern and are designed to provide the best traction only when rotated in the correct direction.

If you have a vehicle with both (and there are several of them out there that are this way) You have tires that are ONLY mounted in set locations. For instance many of the sports cars and high dollar super cars are set up with each corner having a distinct tire. The Vette for instance has different tires front/rear and right/left. So if you have the front left blow out, you have to order a tire for the front left. None of the other tires are correct.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hi,

Thanks again for help in understanding this.

So, for a normal Directional tire (only) there must be an arrow designating the rotation direction on each side of the tire sidewalls.

It seems that this is the only way to get the tires all running in the correct direction; 2 of them have to be mounted having the "opposite" sidewall facing outwards.

True ?

Bob

--------------------

Reply to
Bob

Directional tires will have arrows on the sidewalls and have "mount this direction" or similar wording on them.

They are usually mirror image tires with both sidewalls being the same, most are black wall. If they have a stripe or similar it will be on both sides.

Tires are one of the things many take for granted but they are really the most important item on the vehicle. One of the old commercials said it best, "How much is depending on your tires".

Reply to
Steve W.

Hello,

Thanks again.

Have rerally learned a lot. Appreciate the time you've taken to help me out.

Bob

Bob