Discovery Channel - Turbo

Hello,

I am a producer with the Discovery Channel and I wanted to let you know about some new features on our Turbo Website, which is about automobiles, motorcycles, boats and airplanes.

We recently started a new feature at the website which allows visitors to submit a photo of their automobile or motorcycle to our Daily Ride blog. Once we put the photo of your vehicle on the site other visitors can vote on it and once a month the vehicle with the most votes will be featured on Turbo?s homepage:

If you decide to participate you?ll want to let your friends and family members know so that they will drop by and vote on your ride. To submit your photo, visit
The other new feature is Amazing cars. The blog is written by auto expert Roger Hardnock and is about new and exciting cars as well as classic cars. You can visit Roger?s blog here:
amazing_cars.

You might also find some of the other features on the site interesting, as there is a lot of video, games and a variety of other interactive content that you can explore, including some cool wallpaper for your desktop. Check it out:

Feedback is always welcomed, so if you have any suggestions for future content you would like to see on the site please feel free to contact us at snipped-for-privacy@discovery.com.

Thank you.

Regards,

Team Turbo at Discovery

Reply to
team_turbo_at_discovery

Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why are you calling it "turbo"?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I am a producer with the Discovery Channel and I wanted to let you know about some new features on our Turbo Website, which is about automobiles, motorcycles, boats and airplanes........

We recently started a new feature at the website which allows visitors to submit a photo of their automobile or motorcycle to our Daily Ride blog ......

You might also f Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why are you calling it "turbo"? ______________________________________________________

It's TurboSPAM. They don't care about your car pictures. They have plenty of car pictures. They want to get you to go to their website to see their extensive advertising.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Yeah, I was just pinging him a bit.

I suspect he doesn't even know what turbo means. Some advertising flack.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

My first impression of Discovery Channels use of turbo to emphasize their automotive shows was somewhat negative similar to the tone of the replies so far.

But, let's face it, the use of the turbo term (like it or not) has moved from the technical realm to the advertising "nonsense" realm. Razors, aftershave and other products that obviously have nothing to do with supercharging engines feel free to usurp the term. It has almost become a generic term for "high-performance" the way Kleenex is the generic term for tissues.

Reply to
Dyno

It is also being used in relationship to "jet" engines, from gas turbine and turbojet. I know some folks who believe a turbocharged car engine is related to a jet engine :-). Even heard a local news reporter refer to a turbocharged car as a jet powered car.

For that matter, in a publication I received from a popular guy's magazine about popular science, they were explaining the term turbocharger and indicated it was DIFFERENT than a supercharger. To me the term has always meant a TYPE of supercharger. General class- supercharger, sub-class (gas turbine driven). In fact, at first the term was turbosupercharged, which has been shortened lately to just turbocharged.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota