Dissatisfied with Discount Tire

I live in Phoenix. I have purchased at least 10 full sets of tires from Discount Tire over the past decade or so, for various cars my family has owned (BMW M3, Porsche 914, Dodge Caravan, Toyota Sienna, Ford Escort).

The Sienna recently had a flat tire while we were in Phoenix (Goodyear Forteras, about 25% tread life left). My wife drove a short distance (less than 1/4 mile) with the tire flat. I was concerned that the tire might be damaged and unrepairable as a result of being driven on. The puncture was due to a screw in the middle of the tread, the screw went completely through the tire. Discount looked at it, said the tire was fine, and repaired it.

Today, we had another puncture in a different tire on the Sienna, essentially identical to the puncture we had in Flagstaff, in the middle of the tread, through the tire. My wife drove less than 200 feet on it. I brought the tire/wheel to the Discount we bought the tires from. First thing the guys says to me is, "We don't sell that tire". Well, I bought it here, I said, here's the receipt. "Oh, yeah, we do sell that.". Before he's even looked at the puncture, he's touching the sidewall, "Oh, I feel a heat bump, this tire's unrepairable". I feel the same area and feel no bump at all, nothing. He looks at the puncture. "Oh, that looks bad, it's probably unrepairable." He takes the tire, and tells me he'll call in an hour.

He calls - "the tire's unrepairable, the cut inside is very large, cords showing, etc.". I tell him I'll come and take a look at it. It's nothing more than a simple, clean, small puncture. No cords, no cuts. He pulls another guy over who says, "oh, yeah, that's unrepairable, the repair we use makes the tire like new, but when it's that bad, we can't repair it". More stuff about how bad it is. Best part was when I brought up the fact that Discount had repaired another tire on the van

2 months ago that was exactly like this puncture, no questions asked. He said, "well, that was in the past, and we don't do that today". 2 MONTHS AGO IS "THE PAST"?

I told them I was dissatisfied and would not be returning for tire purchases again. I drove to the new Big O tire a mile from my house. I told them that I had a tire that needed repair, that I'd taken it "somewhere else", they said it was unrepairable, and I wanted a second opinion. I said nothing more. He went out, looked at it, and said, "why in the world would they say this was unrepairable?". They fixed it in

15 minutes, charged me nothing, and I was on my way - oh, and they have a new customer for furture tire purchases.

Anyone else had this problem with Discount? I was pretty pissed, it was obvious that they were just trying to get me to buy another tire - which I'd have gladly done, if the damn thing was really unrepairable (e.g. sidewall damage, bulging, serious cord damage).

Reply to
pbanders

I have also bought a lot of tires from D.T.

I would have gone to a different Discount Tire store - you are never more than a few miles from one it seems. If all their stores are now doing this hardball act then they are doomed.

Reply to
oceangoing

I had a similar experience with Discount (in Gilbert...a suburb of Phoenix, no less) several years ago. A couple months after we bought our Astro one of the tires started losing air. Not a lot, in a couple weeks it would go down about 5 psi...enough to make it noticable. For several weeks I just filled it up every week. I finally took it off and looked it over pretty closely...couldn't find the leak. No punctures, no nothing. I tried soapy water...nothing. I aired it up and had my wife take it to the friendly neighborhood Discount Tire the next morning since the tires were under warranty and Discount was a dealer...IIRC they were General tires. The tire was fine when I left for work a couple hours before she went to Discount. She called me at work from Discount and said that they told here that the tire had a sidewall puncture and was not repairable but they didn't make that model of tire any more and so we'd have to buy two new ones etc etc. Plus, the tire was now flat...the tire that was losing less than 5 psi per week and I had just examined with a magnifying glass (literally) suddenly had a hole in the sidewall. Right! I told them to take a flying leap and put the skinny spare on and she drove it home. Sure enough, the tire that I had examined the day before had a rather large hole in the sidewall. Very mysterious. I also went to Big O and had a couple new tires put on and have given Big O most of my tire business since. They know how to treat people. I[ll never go back to Discount.

Reply to
M.M.

I[ll never go back to Discount. ============================== The receipt for my third set of tires from America's Tire Company also shows Discount Tire Company so they must share the same corporate ownership. Nothing but praise for this particular Southern California store. Just had a repair done last weekend. No charge. Always use a torque wrench on my alloy wheels. Knowledgeable personnel. If I was getting the same kind of harball misinformation you received I wouldn't go back there either, but I've been extremely pleased with the knowlegeable, friendly, and helpful people at this particular location. Same name a in the next city could be different of course.

Reply to
Daniel

I[ll never go back to Discount. ============================== The receipt for my third set of tires from America's Tire Company also shows Discount Tire Company so they must share the same corporate ownership. Nothing but praise for this particular Southern California store. Just had a repair done last weekend. No charge. Always use a torque wrench on my alloy wheels. Knowledgeable personnel. If I was getting the same kind of harball misinformation you received I wouldn't go back there either, but I've been extremely pleased with the knowlegeable, friendly, and helpful people at this particular location. Same name in the next city could be different of course. Almost forgot to mention, they've been matching the prices I've found on the Internet, and allowing trade in value on the old tires, so pricing has been very good after brief negotiation. Have only had them for a couple of days, but so far the Yokohama Avid TRZ have represented an extraordinary improvement in handling.

Reply to
Daniel

I[ll never go back to Discount. ============================== The receipt for my third set of tires from America's Tire Company also shows Discount Tire Company so they must share the same corporate ownership. Nothing but praise for this particular Southern California store. Just had a repair done last weekend. No charge. Always use a torque wrench on my alloy wheels. Knowledgeable personnel. If I was getting the same kind of harball misinformation you received I wouldn't go back there either, but I've been extremely pleased with the knowlegeable, friendly, and helpful people at this particular location. Same name in the next city could be different of course. Almost forgot to mention, they've been matching the prices I've found on the Internet, and allowing trade in value on the old tires, so pricing has been very good after brief negotiation. Have only had them for a couple of days, but so far the Yokohama Avid TRZ have resulted in an extraordinary improvement in handling, while actually representing a higher treadwear rating of 700.

Reply to
Daniel

That guy is a liar, and I'd call their district HQ and file a complaint at

The only problems I've had with Discount Tire have been with their extended warranties (about the only extended warranties I ever buy, the others being for central A/C and laptop computers): when a tire is nearly bald, some of their stores say it's worn out, while others will cover it under warranty. I've used their Metrocenter and W. Bell Rd. stores.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Same here- not all store managers are idiots. In most cases (all sorts of retail operations, not just Discount Tire) the personality of the store is determined as much by the manager and crew as it is by the chain. I've had a Discount Tire manager piss me off by refusing to rotate my tires, claiming that he "has" to put new tires on the back of the vehicle so I don't "lose control and spin out" (despite the fact that it was a typical front-drive car so prone to understeer that you could put roller skate wheels on the back and not get it to oversteer). Went about 3 miles to another Discount store, and no problem at all.

Reply to
Steve

What problem ?!?!?!?!?

Reply to
The Polish-Kraut

I get my Dayton ZR's and Yohohama's fron Plaza Tire Service..

Reply to
corning_d3