Do I need to check backlash after replacing the diff bearing?

I have an annoying noise from the rear axle of my '97 Camaro, which I suspect is one of my differential bearings that needs replacement. At the same time I'll get new thrust washers for my side gears, which will hopefully get rid of the annoying play in the drive axles. Anyway, after replacing these do I have to check the backlash and all that stuff? I assume it's not necessary, but I want to be sure.

Thanks, Ulf

Reply to
asdf

Backlash and side bearing preload.

The factory shims that are in there now are cast iron, they'll break if you try to reinstall them. Service shims are steel and you'll need an assortment to choose from.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Seconded, AAR!

Reply to
maxwedge

Given the original posters question, did you think he would have one to use?

AFAIK, and I may be way wrong, the spreader isn't even part of current GM service procedure for the passenger car axles. I'd gladly defer to Ian since he does this every day in that particular setting...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ian is an excellent source....Setting up rearends was something I always managed to dodge... it isnt rocket science, but I have great respect for the need to do it correctly. And I never had the tools to do it correctly, so -for the very few instances we had to deal with differential service - we sent them out.

Reply to
<HLS

It does if there are acceptable alternative methods.

I already stated that.

It can be done correctly if he uses the steel service shims that are available from GM and/or any number of aftermarket vendors.

I fail to see the similarity between a machining operation and an assembly operation.

Not necessarily.

That may be true regarding the original assemble at the factory, but necessarily true at the dealership level and certainly not true if one reads the instructions supplied with just about any aftermarket gear set/differential assembly. If one calls and queries Randy's Ring & Pinion, they will actually tell you -not- to use a case spreader on any GM axle including a 12 bolt.

FWD is a whole different animal.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Page 4.

Careful who you name drop.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hobby stocks, eh?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Speaking of snobbish, i suppose you look down your nose at the products sold by Mark Williams Enterprises also.

The last racer who didn't stiff me died in a plane crash years ago.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

So, you call the guys at Richmond Gear often?

Reply to
aarcuda69062