Do the "Fix Leak" products help with coolant leaks ?

Hi all

I've got a 94 Mazda 626 V6 that has been losing some coolant recently. I filled the overflow tank nearly to the brim and within a couple weeks the level was even lower than the "L" mark on the dipstick. My mechanic says the S shaped hose that lies near the throttle body sensor is the source of the leak. He says he doesn't know of any third party manufacturers that make this hose - apparently I will *have* to order it from the Mazda dealer. The hose is *really* hard to get to - I read on Julian Bradbury's excellent Mazda/Probe maintenance site that replacement will need extremely long pliers. Now I have no idea where I can get these extra-long pliers so ...

I'm considering a short cut approach. I noticed that my local Kragen store is selling a yellow bottle called FixLeak (or something like it). My question: is this safe and effective to fix small leaks in coolant hoses? What exactly does this product do? Gum up the works? Perhaps it's more effective for a leak inside the radiator rather than in a hose? I'm worried about leaving the hose in this state and would love to find an effective fix that I can carry out myself.

thanks much!

Ram Ganapathi

Reply to
phileas_fogg

Doesn't work on hoses. Depending on where it's leaking, it may be that you can splice in a short lenght of tubin that is a snug fit into the hose. This might get you by for a week oor two. You have to hope the hole is located in a straight section of the hose.

Any decent auto parts store should have that hose, custom-molded for that applicati ||Hi all || ||I've got a 94 Mazda 626 V6 that has been losing some coolant recently. I ||filled the overflow tank nearly to the brim and within a couple weeks the ||level was even lower than the "L" mark on the dipstick. My mechanic says the ||S shaped hose that lies near the throttle body sensor is the source of the ||leak. He says he doesn't know of any third party manufacturers that make ||this hose - apparently I will *have* to order it from the Mazda dealer. The ||hose is *really* hard to get to - I read on Julian Bradbury's excellent ||Mazda/Probe maintenance site that replacement will need extremely long ||pliers. Now I have no idea where I can get these extra-long pliers so ... || ||I'm considering a short cut approach. I noticed that my local Kragen store ||is selling a yellow bottle called FixLeak (or something like it). My ||question: is this safe and effective to fix small leaks in coolant hoses? ||What exactly does this product do? Gum up the works? Perhaps it's more ||effective for a leak inside the radiator rather than in a hose? I'm worried ||about leaving the hose in this state and would love to find an effective fix ||that I can carry out myself. || ||thanks much! || ||Ram Ganapathi || ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Like the other poster said...won't work on hoses. For that a short term fix (emergencies only) would be duct tape.

For things like radiator leaks, I had very good experience with this stuff that comes in a little clear bottle that has what looks like

*tiny* copper pellets at the bottom of the bottle. Forgot what it's called though.

Reply to
M. Seider