Do these two vehicles have the same tranmission?

Is anyone able to tell me if these two vehicles have the same transmission in them? We have a 91 Astro with a nice tight engine and transmission but the body has been crunched beyond reasonable repair (it's my husbands van and I crunched it while he was away so I'm feeling a bit guilty and trying to find inexpensive options).

There's a (95 or 96) Safari (VIN below) that has a blown engine and the body is in very good condition. If its worth my while I will proceed, but first I need to know if the two are compatible.

Any other things I should be checking before purchasing the vehicle? I contacted the engine shops and they said to make sure the tranmissions were the same but when I contacted the service department at the GM dealership here they treated me not so great. Maybe they don't give this information out about the VIN's? Does anyone know a website that would decode the VIN with enough detail to list the transmission?

Thank you, Katherine

1GCDM15Z7MB164620

1GKDM19W1SB553321

Reply to
Shaynelle

Try a Chilton's manual, or Haynes Manual found at most major auto parts stores. They should have a listing of the transmissions in them, most stores will let you look at them in the store. Otherwise try asking the people that work in the stores.

Reply to
Josh

Try a Chilton's manual, or Haynes Manual found at most major auto parts stores. They should have a listing of the transmissions in them, most stores will let you look at them in the store. Otherwise try asking the people that work in the stores.

Reply to
Josh

Maybe this will get you started

<HLS

The '91 has a hydromechanical automatic transmission. The '95-'96 has an electronically-controlled automatic transmission. The two can be interchanged, but it's not just a simple trans swap; you need a fair bit of wiring, the transmission control module, etc.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for all this useful information. We have decided not to get the

96 as chances are, even if we can make it fit it would be a hassle.

Sooooooo we are looking for other Astro's or Safari's and keeping our

91 as a parts vehicle. Does anyone know the years (91 and newer) of Astro's and Safari's we should be considering? I will check the VIN once we go, but if I know ahead of time a 94 Safari engine won't fit, no sense in even going to look at it.

There's a 93 Safari with high mileage that's pretty cheap, we may consider that one if chances are decent we can use the engine if need be from our 91 Astro.

We may go look at the Hayne's manuals, or buy one so we have it around as it's useful anyways. But it's always nice to have a few opinions as well :)

Katherine

Reply to
Shaynelle

Thanks for all this useful information. We have decided not to get the

96 as chances are, even if we can make it fit it would be a hassle.

Sooooooo we are looking for other Astro's or Safari's and keeping our

91 as a parts vehicle. Does anyone know the years (91 and newer) of Astro's and Safari's we should be considering? I will check the VIN once we go, but if I know ahead of time a 94 Safari engine won't fit, no sense in even going to look at it.

There's a 93 Safari with high mileage that's pretty cheap, we may consider that one if chances are decent we can use the engine if need be from our 91 Astro.

We may go look at the Hayne's manuals, or buy one so we have it around as it's useful anyways. But it's always nice to have a few opinions as well :)

Katherine

Reply to
Shaynelle

'94 was the last model year in which both the TBI and Vortec versions of the 4.3 V6 engine were available.

Transmission interchange, however, is '92-down vs. '93-up.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern