Dodge Dakota brake noise

I'm perplexed by my '88 Dodge Dakota. When I step on the brakes, something up front makes a grinding noise and I've not figured what is causing it yet. I've pulled both wheels and looked at the pads, and their fine, and I can't see any thing else that could cause this noise. No dust shields. Nothing else that's bent. Nothing that shows wear or shininess of any sort. If I use the brakes lightly, it's less likely to make any noise. It's more likely to make noise when I break hard. The noise is definitely something grinding, and it sounds like a rough surface based on the sound. It's definitely something moving in a rotary motion.

What else should I be looking at? Do the caliper mounting brackets ever wear to the point where the caliper could be shifting and grinding on something?

Reply to
bruce

Sounds like metallic or semi-metallic pads to me.

Reply to
DeserTBoB