DODGE INTREPID TROUBLE CODE P1391

Can anyone tell me the severity of this trouble code?

P1391: Loss of the camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor has occurred

Reply to
Darrick

Your engine may start having trouble starting, running, etc. almost like it ran out of gas. Dunno if the senso on the Intrepid is as prone to dirty connectors as on some other DC products, but is worth pulling the connector and cleaning it before going to the PITA of replacing the sensor.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Check your timing belt if it is the 3.5. It could be slipping or broken. Mine did not make it to the 100K recomended service time. It broke completely at

93k.
Reply to
Lewis11561

Thanks Lon,

it is acting like that already, and yesterday I just spent $1005.00 on a 60k mile tune up and replacing the oil pan. You would think they would have checked the connectors..

Reply to
Darrick

If there was a stored error, it would seem odd they didn't mention it as you'd expect them to hook up a scan tool on pretty much any visit. If no stored error, might be less expected. However, did this error show up before or after your 60K service that you didn't mention. If it only showed up after, it is far more likely that somebody knocked something loose during that service. If before, yeah I'd expect a good dealer to catch it.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I didn't have this problem until after the service, and I called the dealer back today and he wants me to bring it back in. I told him that I would have to drive the car around for a while before the engine warms up to duplicate the problem because in the morning things are fine, it's when I'm on my way home from work and sitting in stop and go traffic that this problem seems to occur.

Reply to
Darrick

I just had the car in for the 60k service and the excuse he says that the check engine light wasn't on when I took it. I think that's a bunch of bull because that was the reason I took the car in there in the first place.

Once I got the car back from the service the check engine light was off and in a couple of days in came back on with the P1391 code, I have been trying to get it back to the shop to have the run the tests but he says he can't test it if the check engine light is not on.

I'm seeking another shop to service my car as I have given this guy the codes and he still refuses to service the car without the check engine light on.

My question is, does anyone know the severity of this code and the approximate cost of the repair. I am by no mean mechanically incline and can only do basic stuff like, brakes, spark plugs, oil, and filters. I just don't want to get taken to the cleaners when I go to have it repaired.

Thanks

Reply to
Darrick

The crank or cam sensor is becoming intermittent. When it/they go completely, engine will just quit. Fairly inexpensive and not hard to replace.

Good time to also replace the input and output speed sensors, trans filter and flush/refill the trans if you've got the 4 speed auto-OD.

Darrick wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Thanks a bunch Mike, I'm gonna have my local mechanic take care of this because the dealer shop has lost any trust that they've tried to earn from me.

Reply to
Darrick