Does scotchguard work well on auto carpet & aphulstry?

I am thinking of getting a new car soon and would like to protect the fabric from stains. Does anyone out there use Scotchguard regularly on their auto carpet and fabric? Does it work well to make stains come out easier? How often do you need to re-apply for it to be effective.

Reply to
Joe Blo

The "home use" version will keep minor spills from soaking in and staining the material. The scotchgarding liquid literally has to completely saturate the material to fully protect, but it has a tough time soaking into areas where the material is stitched or glued together.

Best to get fabric protected when the fabric is manufactured.

Joe Blo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Stain repellent works really well. I have been using Scotchguard on the velour and carpets my 92 Explorer, and the interior still is like new. I re-apply every year or two. I even do the roof liner and sun visors. A couple of months after I got my Explorer, I accidentally dripped grape juice on one of the seats. It came right up with a tissue. No stain at all!

If you're using the Scotchguard brand, get the one specifically intended for cars - a foam, not a clear spray. Wipe up any excess. Don't breath the stuff. It is nasty.

Good luck.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

It does work, better on some stains than others. As to reapplying, Read The Instructions on the can...

But remember it works just as well if you buy a can of Scotchguard at the market for $10 and Do It Yourself as it does when you pay the dealer $200 for the "Upholstery Protection Package" and the lot porter grabs a can and sprays it on for you. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Make sure you get the reformulated version. It may not be as deadly as the original version: "perfluorooctane sulfonate" (cancer, exema, liver damage, birth defects, brain damage, etc.)

Reply to
« Paul »

I think I'll deal with dirty upholstery.

Reply to
Gus

speaking as a commercial carpenter who comes home filthy every day, yes, scotchguard works. In my case, I still keep a blanket over my 2001 Taco's seat... The truck's interior stil looks new but for the mats, and steam cleaners fix that.

Reply to
?reality