does toyota make a car that's sold as a chevy?

A toyota salesman in the seattle area (burien) told me recently that toyota makes a corolla-type car that's branded chevy. anyone know what the truth is on this question?

thx Tom

Reply to
I Love Edsels

Pontiac Vibe. Toyota Matrix. Think Corolla Wagon.

There used to be others, but I believe that is the only current one based on a Toyota.

Reply to
ray

The Chevy Nova/Spectrum/Geo Spectrum was a rebadged Toyota Corolla in the 80s. Note that this is the Nova from about 1985 on, not earlier ones.

Reply to
silicon212

Don't know if it's still made - but the Prism was the Corolla's American twin.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Just Googled it - the Chevy Prism is no longer produced.

and...
Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Oops - Prizm - w/a "z".

Reply to
Cathy F.

The Chevy Nova was based on the Corolla, not the Tercel.

The Chevy Nova was later re-badged as the Geo Prizm.

Reply to
Ray O

The Geo/Chevy Prizm was a Corolla down to the last nut and bolt (except for decorations). Funny how Condemner Retards and similar publications used to rave about how GREAT the Corolla was, but the Prizm (made on the SAME assembly line) was just "typical American junk." Fact was, they were both crappy little sh*tboxes.

Right now, I think the Pontiac Vibe is the same vehicle as the Matrix. Probably a lot better than the Corolla/Prizm, but I'd go for a Caliber if I were in the market for a mini wagon.

Reply to
Steve

I beg to differ re: your last sentence. I've owned Corollas since '84 - reliable cars, & with LE version, plenty of perks.

The Matrix is the Corolla, with a different body.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

They called it the Toylet!

Reply to
George

I hope he isn't referring to the Cobalt.

Out here there is a dealer who is giving the impression on his radio ads that the Cobalt is co-produced with Toyota, but it is not, and there is a small, very FAST disclaimer at the end of the ad that says the Cobalt and Corolla are mentioned for comparison purposes only.

I hope the Cobalt moves better with the same engine than it's HHR twin does...UGH!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Verifying that this is correct. I had one of those Nova's (Corolla), a 1985 one and it ran forever. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Is it true that "Nova" actually means "No Go" in a few dialects of spanish?

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

M.M.

There is an old Chevy plant in Fremont California that was taken over by Toyota and makes both Toyotas and Chevys now. Both makes come off the same line.

Reply to
E Frank Ball III

It did? Why would you get rid of a car like that? One can not buy a car today that will last forever ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

'No va' would essentially mean just that. Nova, single word, would not. But in spoken Spanish, it is close enough.

Reply to
<HLS