Door & car remotes in pockets

Has anyone ever seen a hard-cover for a key-chain remote so I can carry it in my pocket without setting off my car alarm or raising my garage door?

My Genie garage door remote gets set off in my pocket nearly every time I bend over. [it was every time until I switched control to one of the little buttons.] My wife's goes off in her purse sometimes when she just drops it on the table.

The panic alarm on my remote for my 2001 Impala used to go off randomly, but a drop of super glue cured it. I can't do the same thing with my garage-door remote because I still want to use it.

Has anyone figured out a way to just make the buttons harder to push?

Or a 'universal' remote that will do both car & door & has a hard cover that needs to be slid or flipped before buttons can be pushed?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I pulled my Genie remote apart and replaced the button pads with a sheet of white plastic cut from a milk jug. The remote I have actually has switches inside so the buttons were not part of the circuit. The plastic doesn't stick out of the cover.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Thanks! Mine seems to be the same. Inspired by your idea I just went out to the shop & filed the small button that I have programmed to 1/2 of its original height.

I just spent 2 hours pushing a little electric snowblower around & it never triggered the remote once! Its the first time I've used the machine with my keys in my pocket in 2 yrs. Before it would be triggered every 5 minutes. I think it's cured.

Thanks again. Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht