Door open/closed sensor - 2003 Honda Civic - how does it work?

So I got around to fixing the door jamb switch on a 2003 Honda Civic LX. I think since it was sold new, the little plunger switch was never properly connected. There's this rubber/metal cover that protects it from the outside. The switch has what looks to be a ground connection via three prongs that plug into a metal plate, and a single wire connection going to the sensor. The plate is then screwed into the grounded car body.

Anyone seen a circuit diagram for this? I'm not 100% sure that when the door is closed, whether the switch itself is closed or open. My first guess is that the switch is closed (connected to ground) when the door is open, the plunger switch is extended via the spring, and the sensor wire is looking for this connection to ground.

When it wasn't working, it was obvious that the ground connection was never made since the thing was loose. The headlamp warning chime never went on (sort of assumed there never was one), and the dome light (when set between "on" and "off" - some cars are marked "door" at that setting) didn't go on with the driver's side door. It worked just fine with any of the other 3 doors.

Reply to
y_p_w

Door open = switch electrically closed. Going from memory: when the switch closes it takes either 5v or 12v on its circuit to ground. The voltage comes from the integrated relay (or Multiplex Control Unit) plugged into the fusebox. This IR (or MCU) both generates the voltage on the switch signal and measures it's state. 0v on that line causes the interior lights to come on, a buzzer to sound if the key is in the ignition, the door open light to illuminate, and other less memorable functions.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO