Drive Pulley?

Hey,

I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX. It's a long story, but basically my camshaft broke because the timing gear was not placed right(you can tell because the washer was bent since the key was not in all the way). SO, after arguing with our mechanic, I decided to try to fix the car by myself. I enlisted my dad's friend, and we have a lot of good things. The thing is that we cannot get the bolt off that connects the drive pulley to the crankshaft. We have done EVERYTHING, from heating the bolt then using an air-compressed impact wrench, to putting on a regular wrench with a 3/4" drive adding a 3 foot long pipe and pushing. Even though we tried all of these, the bolt will still not come off. What should we do?

Thanks, DK

Reply to
danielk.28

Put a breaker bar and socket on it and tap the motor. A little backyard trick that has worked many a times for me. Just be careful.

-- Jackson

Reply to
Jackson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1179045208.531376.263360 @n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Try these tips:

Tegger

Doesn't work on a Honda. It turns the wrong way.

Don

Don

Huh? It does work.

When I do it, I put the socket on the crank bolt and arrange the breaker bar so that it wedges against the floor. I then place a piece of plywood behind the breaker bar, (between it and the radiator), and then jamb a piece of rubber or some rags behind the plywood. This is to ensure that there is some pressure or tension holding the socket onto the bolt but not so much that there isn't room once the bolt starts to unwind and back out.

Then, with the ignition disabled, I just tap the starter. You do not need to crank it like you were trying to start the car. One or two quick taps with the key is all that is needed.

-- Jackson

Reply to
Jackson

Use a left-handed breaker bar.

Reply to
clifto

That's a fine method to tighten your Honda crank bolt.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Honda 6 cylinder engines spin clockwise. 4 cylinder engines spin counter clockwise. Let me repeat that one more time... Honda 6 cylinder engines spin clockwise. 4 cylinder engines spin counter clockwise. If you still don't understand, let me know. After all I'm here to help.

-- Jackson

Reply to
Jackson

I ran into this problem on a 1988 accord. Basically I had a friend hold the flywheel with a large breaker bar(probably 3 foot long) through the inspection window for the torque convector while I pushed on a 3 foot extension bar at the pulley end of the crank with my leg. After trying everything you did.....heating, pounding with an impact, swearing profusely, and then finally trying the BigAssBreakerBar(tm) trick I got the bolt off.

If you have an automatic transmission this might be an option for you. Good luck.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

GET A NEW CAM SHAFT AND GEAR FROM A SALVAGE YARD

Reply to
IRONMDN35

Really? Which RWD platform V6 is in the OP's 1996 Accord LX? Is the

4 cylinder in his LX a V6? Let me know, 'cause I'm here to learn.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

When I helped my buddy do his 98 Acura, we ended up having to get a shop with a BigAss impact bust it loose and then tighten it back up. Apparently stock torque on that bolt is 500 foot pounds.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

You won't learn anything useful from this guy. We use the breaker bar/starter trick frequently. I have used it for more than 20 years. It works on a Camry or anything with the timing cover on the passenger side It works on RWD.. It damn sure does NOT work on a 4 cyl Honda Accord where the "front" of the engine is on the driver's side. A simple rule for FWD tranverse engine is the engine turns in the same direction as the wheels going forward. That is why my shop has a special tool to hold Honda crank pulleys.

Don

Don

then of course there is the "rope trick":

--Ken

Reply to
dye

I know, Don. I was f*ing with Jackson. You're right about the orientation of the powertrain. Hondas are odd that they have the engine on the driver's side (at least on N.A. vehicles), and they usually employ a standard powerflow transaxle, IOW, the final drive rotates "forward over top", obviously in the same direction as the crank.

I don't know if they have a/any trans designs with an extra countershaft that reverses transaxle output, which would require an opposite rotation engine. Their 80's and 90's design automatics had several different orientations and quantity of shafts, but I think that by 1990 the design stuck with the more "advanced" 4 speed with more shafts (atleast the reverse collar didn't wear out anymore; I guess that's advancement...)

I'm still waiting to see which 6 cylinder that Jackson thinks is in the OP's Accord *LX*.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish