Driveline Problem on '86 BMW E30

My '86 BMW 323 developed a problem today. After accelerating hard and then braking over a curb something started shaking on the car. It's mostly present under acceleration with the clutch engaged, if I disengage it the shaking decreases. It's also dependent on engine speed, and not the actual speed. However the intensity varies and it seems to be most prominent at low vehicle speeds, sometimes it also goes away almost completely.

The engine runs great, with no difference in acceleration. The clutch feel just like before, it isn't slipping and doesn't seem to have any other problems. Obviously there's an unbalance somewhere in the driveline that's causing the shaking, possibly the clutch on the engine side.

Anyone experienced this before or have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ulf

Reply to
camaroz28

Nope. I had the car up on ramps this morning and poked at it with a screwdriver, it seems to be in good shape. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm beginning to think the problem is electrical and not mechanical because the car ran fine when taking a short drive today. Could be something with the ignition system, fouled spark plug maybe. I should also add that yesterday was the first day in over a week the temperature was above freezing, so it was very humid due to the snow melting. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Ulf

Reply to
camaroz28

That would be road speed related, not engine speed.

Since your vibes are engine speed related (and not road speed), that means the problem is before the transmission.

Clutch?

Reply to
Fred W.

I've changed my mind (again), it's definitely mechanical. It feels like something is rubbing against something else, it's also quiet so I can't hear where it is. I'm suspecting the clutch palate attached to the engine, or maybe one of the accessories on the engine. I doubt it's something in the engine, it's too soft for that.

I'm not sure what to do except wait until whatever it is fails completely, that way I'll know what it is and replace it. It just feels like I have a wheel out of balance, but it's dependent on the engine speed.

Ulf

Reply to
camaroz28