Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror)

I know. But it was a foot wide (which is mighty small): "$27 for a 12" with no backing"

Still, it's in the budget range so I appreciate the find.

In the end, I think I'll go with this, however small. If I'm lucky, I'll nail it to a tree. Folks out here are mighty friendly - it's the transients that steal stuff - so I shouldn't have a problem nailing the mirror on a tree. That keeps the costs down.

I've already seen the posts about not putting a post in the guardrail 'control zone' and the posts about modifying the guardrail - so both those ideas are off the table now due to those complications.

The only option left, given the constraints, are the 12 inch convex mirror nailed to a tree. If/when I do this, I'll post a picture of the results!

But, the other posts

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Being a computer nerd I would go with the camera/tablet solution.

Cheap wireless ip cam that you can access with any sort of portable through your home lan.

Place the cam appropriately, maybe weather enclosure. Make it hard to see from road so you lessen the theft problem.

Reply to
Ran Garoo

Ever heard of a VPN... You think I am located somewhere, I may or may not be in that area, but yes, the server I use is located in Rhode Island...

Wow, you can read headers and do an ARIN search on an IP address, so can any 10-year-old... Do you want a cookie or some sort of achievement award for that ?

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Why ?

Because prior to your providing more KEY details about your situation, many people here were thinking along the lines of "short driveway close to house" situation...

Not "a twisty, hilly suicide dirt road suitable to lead you to a Unabomber cabin, the Hidden Valley ranch dressing source, the Keebler elves magical forest or the secret source of Poland Springs bottled water" type situation...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I would cut down the brush (obstructions) that limit your view until you are at the very crest of your driveway at the road...

In the long run, that solution is free (other than taking up your time), can not be stolen or damaged and if it doesn't work you can always revisit the mirror issue later on...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Hi Evan,

Thanks for clarifying. I almost spilled my morning coffee reading this one! You do have a sense of humor ... and I do understand your point!

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

great photos.

The fence line probably has an easement for an access road, which would allow you to widen the access making your driveway then intercept the main road at a right angle, making it much safer!, BUT it looks like there is no land passed the fence, like a drop off!

From looking at those photos, I'd say go for the 4 by 8 sheet of mirror, make certain no sun angle can blind a driver, and mount any place you want, you need some safety there. [Just in case, put your contact info on the mirror, if you want them to contact you BEFORE they remove anything. I think you can make up something like, "Do NOT remove, under penalty of law per statute ## {state some code number referring to why it is alright to break a law for safety.} and even write in second language if appropriate.]

Reply to
Robert Macy

screw to tree, screw to tree......

screws hold better in a tree than nails do

Reply to
bob haller

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

I think you're a nitwit impersonating an idiot. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

You think? 10-year-olds can do many things we can and many I can't (using game consoles for ex - I've never ever used one). But, scusi, using Usenet, reading headers, knowing what an IP address is, and evenmore doing ARIN searches, is *not* what *any* 10-year-old can do. There might be some who can, but I'd guesstimate it at one in 10,000.

Reply to
Patok

I think that your ideas as to what goes on in education these days is lacking... Tracing an IP address in a technology class is an easy way to tie in with other subjects across the curriculum like geography and world studies using actual real information rather than cheesy fake situations out of a textbook...

Your guesstimate is flat out wrong, kids that young have been learning things like HTML and using the internet at levels beyond what *MOST* adults can comprehend for years... Of course if you are from an illiterate region with poorly funded school systems then perhaps this is not what your young people experience...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

V'ir erdhrfgrq abguvat, ng yrnfg GEL gb yrnea gb erpbtavmr gur qvfgvapgvba orgjrra gur qrpynengvir, vzcrengvir naq vagreebtngvir. Naq, ol nyy zrnaf, qb nyfb pbagvahr gb cergragvbhfyl naq fhcrepvyvbhfyl yrpgher zr nf gb ubj V pbhyq unir orra (unq gur fcrpvsvpf orra ragveryl qvssrerag) jebat orsber furrcvfuyl pbaprqvat gung V nz bs pbhefr pbeerpg, fb irel ragregnvavat naq qrrcyl nccerpvngrq.

Ohg qrfcvgr lbhe cbzcbhf snhk cnf: "Vs lbh qba'g xabj ubj gb cbfg n cvpgher ba n cubgb ubfgvat fvgr naq gura glcr gur yvax urer va n grkg bayl tebhc, gura ghea bss lbhe pbzchgre naq fgbc hfvat gur vagrearg..", gur snpg bs gur znggre vf gung lbh fubhyqa'g or va gur yrnfg fhecevfrq gb qvfpbire gung V, ng yrnfg nf yvxryl nf abg, unir npghnyyl sbetbggra zber nobhg pbzchgre naq flfgrz fpvraprf guna lbh'yy rvgure rire xabj be qrirybc gur jurerjvguny gb pbzceruraq. (Naq nyybj zr gb cerrzcgviryl nffher lbh gung tvira lbhe pbzvpnyyl evfvoyr fgngrzrag, fhpu n punetr vf arvgure ulcbpevgvpny abe vebavp). Nf lbh'ir nyernql fb nzcyl qrzbafgengrq, rira gur zbfg boivbhf bs vasreraprf jbhyq frrz gb rnfvyl fhecnff lbhe qrqhpgvir novyvgvrf; erf vcfn ybdhvghe.

Gb ervgrengr, gurl pregnvayl qb tebj gurz fghcvq va EV.

Or, should the above prove too difficult for you:

I've requested nothing, at least TRY to learn to recognize the distinction between the declarative, imperative and interrogative. And, by all means, do also continue to pretentiously and superciliously lecture me as to how I could have been (had the specifics been entirely different) wrong before sheepishly conceding that I am of course correct, so very entertaining and deeply appreciated.

But despite your pompous faux pas: "If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet..", the fact of the matter is that you shouldn't be in the least surprised to discover that I, at least as likely as not, have actually forgotten more about computer and system sciences than you'll either ever know or develop the wherewithal to comprehend. (And allow me to preemptively assure you that given your comically risible statement, such a charge is neither hypocritical nor ironic). As you've already so amply demonstrated, even the most obvious of inferences would seem to easily surpass your deductive abilities; res ipsa loquitur.

To reiterate, they certainly do grow them stupid in RI.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

While that makes compelling reading (especially the part about the buxom wench women and the high spirited highwaymen), I remind you there are ladies present! Avaast, ye knave! Cleanest up thy writing! Lest I be forced to drub thee.

I may even post the English translation I got from Babelfish, if requested.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

In my area of the country it is required for a motor vehicle operator to stop to check for traffic before entering any roadway irregardless of whether or not the driveway or parking lot is equipped and marked with a stop sign...

********** The law, and what people actually will do, are two different things. If people followed the laws, I think we would have fewer accidents but when they dont, or wont, maybe a mirror would help **********

The OP's interest in installing a mirror would make no difference in my area, he would still have to stop even if he could see no cars were coming before reaching the boundary edge of the roadway...

*********** See above...Maybe he SHOULD stop but he might not HAVE TO stop ***********

~~ Evan

Reply to
hls

And you if you have your Ph.D or other advanced degree in Computer Science and have become nothing more than a Usenet troll, I would say that is more damning evidence against all people who possess that level of education in the subject matter as opposed to your condemnation of people located in the same geographical area of the world where my VPN server happens to be located... located...

Why don't you read the thread posted by the idiot that wanted to drop a capacitor in a bathtub and try your own similar experiment...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

And IF my Aunt bore testicles, I'd refer to her as Uncle. But given that your post was a vacuous proposal/complaint in response to my jest, I respectfully submit that should you have a desire to locate the actual troll, I suggest you take a look in the general vicinity of the nearest mirror.

Again the obvious, save to anyone other than yourself, quite effectively escapes your conspicuously paralytic grasp.

Yet even more risible lecturing from a poseur that undoubtedly couldn't, this time, begin to describe the simple distinction between a Norton and Thevenin equivalent circuit. You're hilarious, you should seriously consider taking that pathetically feeble Dr. Irwin Corey-esque imitative routine on the road.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

Your Jest? Posting a pic to a text group is not easy. That was just a joke. Right?

Norton and Thevenin equivalent circuit?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, try to baffle them with bullshit. Or Pig Latin.

Reply to
Metspitzer

If you have something to say, do by all means state it, if you can possibly manage to muster the necessary intestinal fortitude.

Yes, they're really rather fundamental circuit analysis techniques and concepts students are introduced to (and are expected to easily master) in a first year electrical circuits class. From your approach. my guess would be that you're, at best, possibly a vocationally trained electrician and have never in the past even so much as heard of either, as I can't imagine any competent person familiar with them posing such an otherwise brain dead pretense.

Your proposing such rudiments to be bullshit only serves to expose you as the incompetent you clearly must be, and your bullshit allusion, sans actual brilliant content (or any germane content whatsoever), certainly hasn't attained its desired goal in successfully leading to any confusion. But the truest form of bullshit pretension was in fact Evan's attempt to once again lecture and display his electrical "knowledge and insight" in his suggest to me, which, along with other truncated comments, you've so conveniently, intentionally, purposefully and cravenly snipped.

Is that an attempt to indicate that you too (or should that be two) were totally flummoxed by that which wouldn't start to bewilder a retarded 10 year old in a hurry, i.e., the ROT13? Or might it have been the legal principle of res ipsa loquitur you mistook for "Pig Latin"? You're evidently quite easily confused, particularly by "that there book learnin'", or so you've provided every indication. Should it have been your intention to serve as Evan's either "savior to the rescue", or simply his surrogate, it is my considered opinion that you too have failed most miserably and have accomplished nothing more than joining him in the ranks of complete and utter embarrassments.

But don't let me stop you, do continue to keep digging that hole.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

Other than using the fancy latin legal phraseology you have yet to explain what duty of care exists as far as anything in this thread OR how this unexplained phenomena speaks anything let alone about itself in a legally sufficient way for a lawsuit to be won or lost...

Let's look at the situation being discussed here:

OP installs the "mirror" and an accident occurs --

The existence of the mirror itself means that the OP was aware of and took action to mitigate some deficiency of design or installation of the driveway... The fact that the mirror itself exists creates an increased duty of care on the part of the OP because he has been aware of some danger so when an accident eventually occurs he will face a much greater burden to overcome in proving it wasn't his fault...

OP cuts down all the brush to improve visibility --

The trimming of the bushes by themselves proves nothing, it is just as reasonable an assertion to make that the brush was trimmed and/or removed to allow for a wider path in the driveway, to reduce the chance that brush overhanging the driveway would scratch the OP's vehicles... Increasing the visibility is only one reasonable explanation for explaining the fact that the brush was cut down...

A mirror can only be used to increase visibility -- cutting bushes/brush away can have many numerous causalities...

So do you want to fit your fancy words to the case at point counselor or do you want to espouse more of your bullshit and pig latin non-sense ?

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Let's not, as none of my comments, nor any of those either you or KW (hopefully the abbreviation won't also confuse you) have objected to heretofore, had the slightest thing to do with anything other than the posting of a picture, although, given your laughably indefensible rebuttals, I can readily understand your desperate desire for obfuscation and misdirection.

I'm not a counselor, in the legal sense you imply, I'm an engineer.

You've not come REMOTELY close to describing ANYTHING I've penned as either bullshit, pig latin or nonsense. You should be embarrassed, and would be, had you the capacity to be.

PS The reason for the truncated earlier osts is due to the servers complaint and restriction of "too many quoted lines".

Reply to
Hoof Hearted