Dropped plastic piece into trans... how can it be removed?

A friend of mine has the rare find of a daughter who goes to college and works on her own car! She is quite handy; I once helped her R&R a water pump on her car on the side of a road.

Her mother mentioned to me today that she made a pretty big mistake while trying to put oil in her transmission (91 Buick Regal). Somehow, there was a plastic piece on the end of a funnel type thing which fell off and into the trans while she was trying to fill it. Apparently, she did not know that this plastic plug was on the end of it. She only realized it, after hearing it unplug and tumble into the trans.

I have no particular ideas on how to get it out, except, flushing the trans with oil and hoping that the item falls to the bottom. Does anyone have any other ideas??

Reply to
Al Kondo

If autonmatic. No Problem No sweat No big Deal:grinyes: :grinno: :lol:

If dip stick goes in OK all is well. You might warn the person that changes the filter on it what he may find in there. MT

Reply to
MT-2500

I dont believe it is going to pass through the tranny filter:>). There are, IIRC, a few places where the 'fish' might get into some areas where it could cause a problem.

If she hasnt serviced the tranny lately, go ahead and do it and get the bit out. .

Reply to
hls

Since the tube drops into the trans pan and any fluid the trans uses goes through a filter I wouldn't worry about it. If you REALLY want to remove it just drop the trans pan and change out the fluid and filter while your there.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. The trans probably already has the dupstick tube hole plug in there from when the car was built unless it has had trans service and the tech removed it. Most cars come from the factory with this piece of plastic floating around in there. That is one way a tech nician can tell whether or not the trans has ever been serviced.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

it can only be removed be removing the bottom trans pan. more than likely, the piece that fell down will be in there or has been sucked up into the filter, where it will stay if it actually makes it into the filter. if it's not in one of those places, which it probably will be, flushing the fluid will do no good. it MIGHT not cause a problem, but if it were my car, i wouldn't want it in there.

Reply to
dsguy