dual brake systems

I'm old and decrepit and getting forgetful. But here goes.

Our red brake light is coming on periodically in our '96 Maxima. Seems I recall in the newer card with dual brake systems that this is probably an indicator something is wrong with one of them. Can't recall which. help needed here.

Reply to
RB

It can also be a sign you are low on fluid. Check level in master cylinder first.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Its an indication that pressure in the two halves of the braking system is not equal. Usually due to a leak on one side causing one of the reservoirs to run dry and allowing air into the system. It doesn't give you any indication of WHICH half has the problem, just that a problem exists. It is also an indication that the car's stopping capability may be SEVERELY limited.

Reply to
Steve

It is less severe for FWD, as the systems are for opposite corners, not for front and back. That being said, there is a small chance that the second system could fail before you fix the first, so the red brake light is a "Fix me as soon as possible", not a "Fix when you can afford it" warning. Anyone who cannot afford to fix their brakes should not drive.

Reply to
Richard Bell

That means pull over and park/stop the vehicle as soon as possible!

It is indicating a brake failure that can 'very' quickly turn into total brake loss.

Until you find out what is going on, the vehicle is not safe to drive, it should be towed.

The light means uneven pressure in the two systems. This happens when one leaks all the fluid out. On older vehicles when this happens, the internal seal in the brake master cylinder can and usually will fail which pumps out 'all' the brake fluid in short order.

The light can also come on if the emergency brake is partially on, but fluid loss is the first check.

Mike

RB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The red brake light on a '96 Max either means the parking brake is not fully disengaged or low fluid warning from the master cylinder. It is not connected to anything else.

Reply to
E. Meyer