dual exhaust question

On V-6s, is there any reason not to have duals on each side straight on back, no crossover? It'd be a 3 / 3 split, one pipe off each manifold. Or, is that the norm, these days. Been years since I've fiddled with duals.

Reply to
RB

Don't see why not. Years ago when subarus first came out with the "lifetime" exhaust systems that eventually did rust out anyway, I would run duals on them as the replacement parts at the time were out of the world as far as price were concerned. 2 cylinders a side, some in front of the rear wheels, sounded a little funky but the customers were always happy. Did many V6's too, no problems.

Reply to
pater

Depends on what sensors the vehicle has. With ones that have pre and post cat sensors you may run into a problem with no sensor on one pipe after you split the exhausts. On units that don't have the sensors you could just install dual cats and probably be OK.

Reply to
Steve W.

I think any difference with/without a crossover on a v6 would be small enough that it would be tough to measure. In theory, if you place a crossover ahead of the mufflers then you'd still get a slight improvement because even though the split on a v6 results in two even-firing exhaust pipes (unlike a v8) the peak flow through each muffler would be slightly reduced because the impulse from any given cylinder on one bank falls at the minimum flow between two pulses on the opposite bank, so SOME amount of flow-sharing can still occur. But its not nearly as extreme as a v8 which has two uneven-firing exhaust pipes if you don't connect them with a crossover.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, guys. Good answers and info. It's easier to put pipes straight back than to bend and install a crossover, is the only reason I was asking what I could get by with.

Reply to
RB

FWIW, I've seen/heard (and done several of my own) some sweet systems on v-8 Chevy pickups where the muffler was removed, and a y-pipe installed behind the cat and duals run from there out the rear. Actually, some after-market tubing/muffler suppliers make a dual-pipe just for this application. Sounded good on those engines w/o mufflers, kinda like quieter glass-packs--and, to meet unforeseen future legal restrictions, it would be simple to re-install the original muffler & tailpipe. Plus, it routs the exhaust thru the factory cat-convertors (and thru the O2-sensors) so as to meet that requirement. Maybe such a system would sound/perform well on your v-6. s

Reply to
sdlomi2