Dual Exhaust Question

I wonder if anyone can offer some insight on this.

I just leased a 2007 Ford Fusion with dual exhaust. I noticed that after I turned the car off, white-ish smoke was coming out of one pipe and not the other.

Is that normal? Does this indicate a problem with the exhaust system or engine?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
JJW

First off, the "whitish smoke" is almost certainly water vapor condensation, not smoke. That's normal in cool weather

As for why it only showed on one pipe, that's easy. Its fake dual exhaust- one pipe comes from the engine, through the catalyst, and then it splits to go to the two tips. Same for most all 4-cylinder and v6 front-drives from all manufacturers. Its pretty normal for only one of them to carry much flow, although I think the manufacturers tend to at least TRY to balance the flow a little. I remember the 90s Pontiac Grand Ams and Grand Prix were set up so that the exhaust pipe went to a muffler right behind one outlet, and then a crossover pipe led to the other outlet and it frequently wouldn't carry any flow at all, which was really obvious on cold days when the exhaust condenses and is visible.

About the only true dual exhaust you find these days is on V8 cars like Vipers, Corvettes, Chrysler 300s, Dodge Chargers, and Magnums, V8 Mustangs, and Crown Vic Police Interceptors.

Reply to
Steve

You will see that in most new vehicle until the temp has been at normal long enough to burn off the anti corrosion coatings and oils. You would have probably seen the exhaust manifolds "smoking" if you had raised the hood.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut