Dual water temp sending unit

Anyone ever heard of a water temp sending unit that can run an idiot light and a gauge at once? I have an idiot light now, but would like a gauge in addition. There are no more spots to put new sending units.

Reply to
Charles

Shep

Oh, I thought a sending unit was fairly universal. It would be for a

1986 Chevy K30 pickup with 6.2 diesel.

Shep wrote:

Reply to
Charles

Functionally, I guess you could say sending units [electrical] are universal. Essentially, they are an electrically-read unit that creates resistance within the unit as a function of temperature.

As to applicability, that's more about the size of the sensor, thread size/diameter, generally it's physical size. While not the same vehicle, I did what you are thinking of with a Jeep Cherokee straight six. I got a T fitting, installed that into where the temp. sensor was. I then put the temp. sensor in one end, and a mechanical water temp. guage tube in the other. The main hassles I had were in buying adapters to mount the mech. [aftermarket] guage tube onto the T-fitting. I used a T-shaped fitting, but you may need to use an L-shaped fitting in addition [mounted on the T-fitting at one end], in order th get clearance around the mounting area for one or the other or both sensors or tube/sensor. It can be a lot of plumbing and use of adapters.

The one thing I found out was my electrical unit read about 10 degrees lower than actual, and the mech.guage was spot on, after the project was complete [and, man, it was a project, LOL]. Because the elect. guage read lower, the cooling fan was delayed in coming on, which I didn't like. That's one more thing to consider.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03