Duplicating keys w/ chips

Awl--

It is a fairly gigantic and expensive pita to get duplicate keys for a Honda Fit--and proly for most new cars. You gotta bring in ALL the keys, otherwise when they complete the process not all will work!!! Plus, they charge so much the salesguy wouldn't give me an exact figure! He left it at "a lot". goodgawd....

He also said this: You can hide a key by the ignition, and let THAT chip be the activating chip for all traditionally-duped keys. Or just cut off the chip part and tape it, so a full key is not available.

Any thoughts on this? Will a locksmith still be able to dupe the mechanical part of the key, or is that even out of the question?

Can this chip thingy be otherwise disabled?

Man, am I feeling like a fish in a barrel, where the fisherman have shotguns.....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Some keys with 'chips' are easily duplicated at a professional lockshop. Others are not.

On a lot of GM's, it is fairly easy to bypass the passkey system so that the resistor plays no part.

Some of the other brands have fairly sophisticated security systems and you would have to look on a case by case basis.

Reply to
<HLS

If it's an RFID style chip, there is no reason it wouldn't work. You just won't have the full measure of security as the system was intended. I've done exactly like this for a number of customers who've lost their spare key and didn't want to be a victim of the price of a replacement RFID key.

Don't see why not. If it's the same key as opens the doors, there should be a 'valet' style key available sans-a-chip.

Not practically, no.

Reply to
aarcuda69062