E4OD E40D Problems slipping shudder things you need to know before you do a rebuild!

E4OD E40D Problems slipping shudder things you need to know before you do a rebuild! I have been working on figuring out the E4OD annoyances for quite some time now and have a list things to do for you all before you go out and give some guy $2300.00 for a rebuild that may or may not address what appears to be that annoying slipping in the down shift from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd. First of all I recommend doing it your self. 1) Change the fluid pan for one with a drain plug. Pick one up on eBay. 2) Drain all fluid from transmission including torque converter. The torque converter has a drain plug on it, you can find it through the hole on the under side of the transmission, use a socket wrench to turn the crank until you find it then drain all the fluid. 3) Get a Superior valve body kit and use the light duty springs unless you are pulling a VERY HEAVY LOAD. I pull a 22 foot travel trailer and the light duty springs are plenty adequate. 4) Order a new solenoid body from a transmission parts distributor like Portland Transmission in Portland, Or. Do not use one of those after market things from Canada or any gizmos like it, those things are very hard on transmissions and can cause it to over heat. JUST DON'T USE THEM! I know it's tempting to try something that may do a fix, but believe me I've tried them and they don't work! 5) Keep everything clean. 6) Refill transmission with Amsoil, 16 quarts x $8.00 = a lot money but it's worth it. 7) Get a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and set to read 1.0 volts. Use your manual to figure out how to adjust it and read the voltage. **Note** I had to drill out the bushings of the TPS and enlarge the holes in order to adjust the TPS on my 1993 F250 w/406 because it wouldn't adjust past 0.87 volts.

8) Get a new EEC coolant temperature sensor or it equivalent. If out of range, this thing will cause your transmission to slip. This EEC sensor made a real difference on my trany. Remember, the E4OD is electronic and computer controlled so the last two thing I listed to do is very important. And remember to completely drain the fluid at least once a year and don't believe your mechanic.
Reply to
Jamie