EGR valve

Should the valve STAY open when maintaining revs at 2000-3000rpm, engine at operating temp, trans in park? Mine just opens very slightly , < 1/16", for a second then seems to close again which I verified with a vacuum gauge. It went to full vacuum then dropped back to zero in a second or 2 while maintaining the 2-3k rpm. Going above 3000 doesn't make a difference.

Reply to
mark

Probably not.

You don't mention the year, make, model of vehicle or engine type, but these could prove informative:

where XX = integers 25 through 36, inclusive
This type of information is readily available and easily locatable by doing a google search.

Reply to
Heron

Thanks, good links but nothing I have read, there or elsewhere, tells me if the valve should stay open as higher rpm's are maintained while in part/ neutral. Car is a 1993 Nissan Altima. See "93 Altima Emissions fail on high Nox..." posted Jul 26. The emission test graphs are also there.

Thanks

Reply to
mark

as before, your aftermarket cat is 5 years old and it's giving you high HC. those are both big red flags that it's dead.

now, you still need to fix the source of the high HC [low CO2 means you're not getting combustion and therefore have an ignition issue], and the egr issue, but you could probably pass smog with just a new cat. i disabled the egr on my civic and it passes smog just fine.

Reply to
jim beam

No it shouldn't. EGR valves will vary depending on operating conditions. They are not a steady state item.

Reply to
Steve W.