El Camino Restoration

I just purchased a 1965 El Camino, it has been in a storage yard foe 15 years waiting for restoration,supposedly it drove in under its own power with a strong drive train (needs lots of body work), how do I approach relubricating the Engine (open water hose line, open exhaust headers, rag in the carburator, open value cover vent), the 4-speed Muncie transmission, and the posi-traction rear-end? Will these need to be opened up for evaluation or can they be revived for evaluation by drain and renew?

Reply to
Elkie

Shep

Hello. I am a degreed auto. mech. of 22 yrs. I have owned & operated a "junkyard" for as long also. If I were you I would flush-out the block & radiator(cooloing sys) w/ a garden hose...this should get any critters & their homes out of your way. ALWAYS check fluid levels...mtr. oil etc. if there is ANY trace of water or fuel contamination,then change first. Otherwise I would do so after you get her to run.If it ran when parked,then by all rights it should run now. Have had worst situations...such as an engine fire w/ MELT DOWN of carb. etc. Hope this starts you off o.k. Reply if you need.

Reply to
jyd36

Jyd36, thanks for the input, after investigating all the casting and VIN numbers everything checks to what I was told, the Car has some rust on the carb main butterflys, so I think I will remove clean and kit, while it is off I can investigate inside the intake manifold for rust and debris. Also, I want to remove the valve covers and look for rust in that area and try to rehydrate with a lubicating oil for the top end and remove the plugs and try to do the same with the cylinders. It is full of oil but it is pretty dark and thick, but no water.I intend to flush radiator and engine, as well as take the gas tank out and clean and seal, as well as the lines and filter throuht to the pump and carb. Any other recommendations or products would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Elkie