Electric radiator fans

I want to replace the stock belt-driven puller radiator fan on my antique car with a 16" electric fan, but even the shallowest motors interfere with the nose of the water pump.

Last month I saw in a street rod magazine, whose name I don't remember, an ad for an electric fan whose motor was offset to the bottom, presumably driving the fan blades by a belt. The ad said they use a Spal motor.

Does anyone know who these folks are?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Josh B. Malks

|I want to replace the stock belt-driven puller radiator fan on my |antique car with a 16" electric fan, but even the shallowest motors |interfere with the nose of the water pump. | |Last month I saw in a street rod magazine, whose name I don't |remember, an ad for an electric fan whose motor was offset to the |bottom, presumably driving the fan blades by a belt. The ad said they |use a Spal motor. | No, but you might consider two fans, where the water pump nose might fit the void between the fans.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Mike Behnke

A pusher would be my advice. Mercedes fans from afterrmarket sources are reasonably priced and usually quiet.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

|Or, mount the fan in front of the radiator in push mode. Would keep the |fan motor cooler.

Lots of antique cars don't have any space in front of the raiator. It would also probably be too visible through the grille, and lose authenticity. | |Rex B wrote: | |> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:10:12 GMT, Josh B. Malks wrote: |> |> |I want to replace the stock belt-driven puller radiator fan on my |> |antique car with a 16" electric fan, but even the shallowest motors |> |interfere with the nose of the water pump. |> | |> |Last month I saw in a street rod magazine, whose name I don't |> |remember, an ad for an electric fan whose motor was offset to the |> |bottom, presumably driving the fan blades by a belt. The ad said they |> |use a Spal motor. |> | |> No, but you might consider two fans, where the water pump nose might fit the |> void between the fans. |> |>

|> |> Rex in Fort Worth |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B