elusive item

have you ever seen a do it your self analysis kit for checking the integrity of crankcase motor oil - anywhere, and especially in an auto parts store?

wonder why someone hasn't come up with an inexpensive thingy to - test the oil with a drop or two from the dip stick - as soon as the engine is killed?

do you think such an item would be counter-productive to oil sales? are most oil changes - unnecessary?

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Relatively inexpensive sampling kits (which include the cost of analysis) are readily available from numerous sources world wide, including oil companies, engine manufacturers and independent laboratories. The first one to come up in google....

Like a Chinese built AES? :)

Most oil companies, and engine manufacturers, encourage oil testing. Some oil changes are unnecessary (as appropriate tests will indicate), however the main purpose is to nip engine wear problems in the bud. The AES is used to analyse wear metals -- to help identify the likely source and cause (which more often than not won't be an oil problem).

Reply to
John_H

wonder why someone hasn't come up with an inexpensive thingy to - test the oil with a drop or two from the dip stick - as soon as the engine is killed?

Best tool I have used is a Smelling device - my Nose!

Reply to
Backbone

Just a little research on this will show you some more simple DIY tests including dispersing a drop on a paper towel. If your nose is good enough, why not try to market your services?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Just a little research on this will show you some more simple DIY tests including dispersing a drop on a paper towel. If your nose is good enough, why not try to market your services?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Yeah, but you have to send those out. That's not self-analysis. :)

But when you look at what's actually included in the report, you can see why there aren't home oil analysis kits. It's not like checking blood sugar level or ketones (something that diabetics do) or for pregnancy.

You aren't looking for one thing, and you want hard numbers.

It's hard to imagine a self-analysis kit which could test for the concentrations of more than dozen different metals and other elements!

In the lab, they probably do atomic absorption spectroscopy on the samples, after putting them through some preparation steps. It's time consuming labor, requiring special equipment and materials like acids, AA machines and standard solutions to calibrate them.

Our resident lubricant-crazed WebTV dummy doesn't have a clue.

By the way, Googling for "atomic absorption spectroscopy" "oil analysis" uncovers an interesting paper which gives an idea about what is involved.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Some of these tests can be handled in a wet lab with simple titrations, but instrumental analysis is paramount to get data quickly and hopefully reliably.

AA may still be used but I wouldn't call it state of the art. ICP is a lot faster and will give you more information. I believe you can be the proud owner of one for around $50,000.

Reply to
<HLS