engine code: timing belt off one tooth ,but it is perfect!

I put a re-man'd cylinder head on with new belt and water pump.The car runs great but I have a check engine light and the code says the timing is off. does the computer have to relearn the new cam ? The alignment of the cam sprocket and crankshaft is right on the money. I read the computer may have to relearn it's new configuration ( the cam had some wear on it but I presume it is within tolerance since it came with the remanufactored head) .

Reply to
Breeze

Could the cam position sensor be off? Knowing which engine would help.

Reply to
mandtprice

And...

Are you *ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, TOTALLY* certain that the cam/crank alignment is correct? It's quite easy to either gain or lose a tooth while jiggling the new belt onto the sprockets, or not actually have the sprockets (especially the crank) *EXACTLY* right - particularly when you're doing the job with the engine in the car, rather than out on a stand where you can look at everything "exactly dead-on", rather than having to look at things from some oddball angle that can easily be more than plenty to cause a one-tooth-either-way error.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Don Bruder wrote in news:454b6738$0$34561$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

I like to paint a pair of marks on the pulleys and the belt with Wite-Out before removing the old belt. I then transfer the marks to the new equipment and install. Hard to make a mistake that way.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I used to use cheapie fingernail polish. I usually had some black, white, red, yellow, green in my box at any given time. Of course I got funny looks when I'd buy it, but oh well.

;-)

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

And this is what year, make, model, engine? So far I can assume it is a vehicle with one head, so most likely a four cylinder. Perhaps it is a Plymouth Breeze based on your nickname. So...... 2.0 or 2.4 engine? So..... what code exactly?

The ECM on any car cares little to nothing about the lobe or bearing surface wear of a cam. It would take enough wear to cause the engine to misfire before a code was stored, and it would still likely not set a cam/crank relationship code. Perhaps the replacement cam has a different trigger tooth design because it is not from the same year vehicle. What was that vehicle again?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish