Engine flusher question

Could anyone out there tell me if those engine flushers are a waste of money or are they worth it? I'm speaking about the kind thats put in the oil just a few minutes before I would change the oil. The box on the ones I seen in the stores are suppose to clean the sludge out when I drain the pan.Is this true?

thanks for your time

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Brad,

They do work, but the problem is that the solvents that do the cleaning are harmful to engine bearings. My opinion is that it is a mistake to use these, but if you absolutely must, follow the instructions on the container to the letter. What makes you think you need this? Have you had the engine apart to see if there really is sludge? If you change your oil often, you shouldn't need to do this.

Reply to
RickA

I've had good luck using the Gunk engine flush. It freed up some sticky lifters that would have been a major PITA to replace.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to pass on using it if it harms the bearings. The engine probably dosen't need it.I was thinking of having a tune up for it thats were the flusher idea came from. I change the oil very regularly. The cars been great to me.It's a 96 pontiac grand prix with about 85,000 miles. I just thought maybe it would help the engine last longer. It runs great burns no oil period.All it needs is a new battery sometime.

thanks again Brad

Reply to
Brad

I bought used Dodge convertible. Changed oil. While draining oil, noticed it was as thick as molasses in February, and Uh, OH! - I've been suckered - must be full of STP or motor honey - what did they cover up, bad rings, bearings? Put in new oil, filter, ran engine a couple of minutes to check for leaks. Shut down, pulled dipstick to check level - new oil was as black as if from a diesel with a milion miles oni it. Got can of engine flush, added to oil, idled engine for five minutes, as per directions, drained oil. Installed new oil, filter - this time stayed clean. No noises or oil consumption - previous owner just skimped on oil change! Whew!

Reply to
lemstraf

I once changed a girlfriend's oil who had been using extended change intervals and Amsoil. Couldn't believe how sirupy this was.

Even though the oil test that is now going on seems to show that Amsoil is a quality product and that long change intervals are better than frequent changes, this goes against my grain and intuition.

I intend to follow this testing carefully, as it is the first apparently disinterested and somewhat scientific approach I have seen.

For others interested, check in at

HLS

Intuition gets influenced by advertising.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow