engine moaning like a ghost

Hi folks,

my 83 vw golf has developed a moaning sound which has increased in intensity now.i cant pin point it but it seems to be coming from the region of the alternator/distributor/water pump and possibly intake manifold (but i couldnt get ear close enough to check the last one). the alternator belt is quite loose and i got another one which i will change next week.

the sound is sort of like a cat moaning or a sound ghosts are supposed to make to haunt. it happens loudest after you accelerate and you let go of the gas like decelleration of a turbo only i dont have one.

i am not sure if it is an air leak problem or a bearings (main engine or distributor bearings) problem.

any ideas what is wrong or how to find it?

thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

|Hi folks, | |my 83 vw golf has developed a moaning sound which has increased in |intensity now.i cant pin point it but it seems to be coming from the |region of the alternator/distributor/water pump and possibly intake |manifold (but i couldnt get ear close enough to check the last one). |the alternator belt is quite loose and i got another one which i will |change next week. | |the sound is sort of like a cat moaning or a sound ghosts are supposed |to make to haunt. it happens loudest after you accelerate and you let |go of the gas like decelleration of a turbo only i dont have one. | |i am not sure if it is an air leak problem or a bearings (main engine |or distributor bearings) problem. | |any ideas what is wrong or how to find it? | |thanks, |Sam

Use a rubber hose like a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. Sometimes a piece of metal tubing in one end helps concentrate and amplify the sound. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B