Engine Oil

Hi,

I have 10W/40 Enhanced Mineral Oil in the sump of my Pug 205 1.6 GTI.

Will 10W/40 Semi Synthetic Oil be compatible with the existing oil?

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 20:42:12 -0700 (PDT), species8350 wrote as underneath :

Yes it will be completely compatible IMHO but the semi-Synth will be slightly thinner oil so if your engine was built with tolerances for the old style mineral oil and has always used it then I would stick with the mineral, its cheap and cheerful and the engine will run slightly quieter probably than it will with a thinner oil. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

So, what country is this? These are not descriptions that you see on oils in the US.

Which might be unfortunate... here in the US you basically have to check the standards listed on the bottle to have any idea what sort of oil you are buying.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Does your Peugeot's oil filler cap have an API label ? Maybe says SM/CF ? You want to use an oil that has that (or newer) designation.

Reply to
Retired

Thanks for responding.

I am in the UK

I could not buy any of the oil that I used to use. Hence, I bought the Semi Synthetic Oil

Reply to
species8350

I note that on both bottles (the oil in the sump, and the newer oil bought) it says, amongst other things: API and ACEA, but gives no numerical values

Reply to
species8350