Engine Oil Question <Probably stupid>

I just recently bought a 2006 Saturn ION level 2. It's got 24k on it and I went to get my oil changed and accidentally asked for 10W30 instead of 5W30(Owners manual recommended oil). I live in buffalo, it's pretty cold up here, is this going to screw up my engine if I don't get it fixed immediately? I noticed that the engine sounds a tiny bit louder, I just hope I didn't do anything that I'll regret later.

Louis

Reply to
loudawgmv540

If it starts in the morning, you're fine. The only difference between 5w and 10w is the 5w oil is thinner when cold. They are both 30 when hot, so, other than easier cold starts with 5w, there is no difference to the engine.

Reply to
E Meyer

I'm a big believer in using the correct/recommended oil in a newer car. Newer cars have tighter manufacturing tolerances so the thinner oil(at startup) is necessary to assure good lubrication. I wouldn't say you will definitely damage the engine during cold startups but having the right oil is safer. A lot of times the most wear occurs while the engine is cold and lubrication is not the best.

Reply to
CraigFL

Okay thanks. I forgot to mention it is full synthetic oil, don't know if that makes a difference or not. My engine seems a little louder than usual, could this be from switching from dino oil to synthetic? Thanks again for the reply.

Reply to
loudawgmv540

If you have a block heater, it would be best to use it on the colder mornings. This is good practice in our cold weather (I live in Ottawa) but also a good way to deal with the slightly thicker oil. Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

E Meyer ( snipped-for-privacy@msn.com) writes:

Reply to
Dan Beaton

Unlikely the oil is making the engine sound louder. Did you do anything else to it besides changing the oil? It could be you are just being more sensitive to its sound because you think you might have done something to it.

Reply to
E Meyer

No, they don't. The internal specified clearances haven't changed in 40 years. What HAS changed is that automakers now know that they can perform better on CAFE requirements with thin oils, and modern engines have things like roller cams and no gear drives which make them more TOLERANT of (but don't make them REQUIRE) thinner oils.

Reply to
Steve