Engine overheated and now check engine light is on

Hi,

The radiator recently cracked on my 98 civic as a result of which the engine was overheating -- the engine temperature gauge was past the red line, which i onyl noticed once steam started comming out of the head.

I took it to the mechanic, and he replaced the radiator and said there didn't appear to be a problem with the engine as a result of it over heating.

so i drove the car for a day, and then all of a sudden the check engine light came on (the temperature of the engine with the new radiator is fine though according to the gauge ).

Anyone have an idea what would be wrong wiht the engine?

Is it safe to drive?

I'll get the car fixed, but since i'm handing it down to my brother after i get a new car in four-five months, i don't want any expensive repairs. Might there be a cheaper repair to whatever the mechanic is likely to suggest?

Thanks.

Reply to
albert.mills

sorry that should have been "steam comming out of the hood"

Reply to
albert.mills

An issue has been detected that the computer is trying to bring to your attention. Take the car to a local auto parts store that offers to read the codes for free. Most of the chain types will do this now. Get the code and post back and let us know what it is before buying any parts they tell you that you need to fix the issue.

Unknown until you find out what the code is but most likely safe to drive for a couple days until you can resolve the issue.

Impossible to know until we know what is wrong.

Reply to
Steve B.

| check engine light came on

TE Chea

Okay, this tells you something is wrong.

Not a clue. The light tells you a problem. Now you need to pull the codes off the computer and find out what the problem is.

I have no idea. The light just tells you there's a code. Maybe it's a code saying your tank venting is screwed up because you left the gas cap off. On the other hand, maybe it's saying half a dozen sensors are out of range because your block is cracked. Without seeing the codes you don't know.

That depends on what's broken.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey