Engine overheating during motion

Hi folks,

I have this strange thing going on with my '95 Pontiac firebird.

My engine was overheating at idle. The problem was diagnosed to a broken cooling fan. So I replaced the cooling fan. The relays were found to be ok.

Now strangely, the engine is overheating during motion and cooling down a bit during idle (because the fan comes on at idle). Why would this be? Basically my engine heat indicator is going all the way into red while I am going 70 mph on the freeway and my check guages light is coming on.

Also, the guage is pretty much starting off at 3/4s of the way instead of being below the half way point.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
peter.palaparthy

Because the new fan was installed improperly and is moving air from the back of the radiator to the front instead of from the front of the radiator to the back. That is, it's functioning as a puller (if it's mounted to the front of the rad) or as a pusher (if it's mounted to the back) instead of the correct way (puller if it's on the back, pusher if on the front). The forward motion of the car tries to force air rearwards through the radiator...the fan tries to force air forwards through the radiator...net result, not enough air getting through the radiator!

Check and make doubly sure you got the right fan assembly or replacement fan motor. If you did, reverse the fan motor wires. If you didn't, get the right one.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern