engine overheating question

My 1994 Chevy S10 recently overheated and shutoff. The mechanic replaced the leaking heater hoses and changed the antifreeze to fix the problem.

He stated that the S10 will shutoff on its own if the engine overheats. I

s this a specific feature to this model truck, or does it apply to most cars?

I ask because I have a '96 Buick Regal that also overheated and was wondering if engine damage occured or maybe the computer on that car also simply shut off the engine.

thanks

Reply to
Nadeem

That is a new one to me...

Normally the engine shuts down from overheating as it seizes up. If you are extremely lucky it doesn't actually weld parts together so it will run again when cooled down. They normally are an oil burning smoker from then on because all the valve oil seals got literally cooked hard.

Sometimes you get lucky though....

Most people seem to sell them after the overheat. It is amazing the number of paint peels from the front of the hood where the antifreeze got it that I see on used vehicles. Then you open it to see the new hoses or rad. I tell folks to pass on those and look for something else to buy....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > My 1994 Chevy S10 recently overheated and shutoff. The mechanic replaced
Reply to
Mike Romain