Engine overheating when Idle

Hi,

My engine has recently begun to overheat whenever the car idles or moves at slow speeds. When I speed up and travel at higher speeds, the temperature starts coming down. It starts going back up again really fast at a stop light, etc..

I suspect this is a problem with the thermostat. During idle, there is not enough pressure from the radiator for the thermostat to regulate the coolant flow to adjust the temperature. Is this right? Do I need to check my water pump and radiator too? Will replacing the thermostat fix the problem?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Reply to
peter.palaparthy

You are describing a dead clutch on the rad fan.

To check, heat up the car and watch the fan while someone shuts off the engine.

A working clutch will stop the fan almost instantly. If the fan keeps spinning, the clutch is dead.

Mike

"peter.palaparthy" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

They only have an electrical fan???????

Mike

Bruce Chang wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"Mike Romain" wrote

Yeah....the f-bodies haven't had mechanical fans for years now.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai