Engine rattles when accelerating

I have a '93 Cadillac Sedan Deville with a 4.9 liter V8 engine and when I'm driving, it tends to rattle when I have my foot on the gas, but it won't rattle when I have it in park or neutral. If anyone knows what causes a motor to rattle and possibly has a solution to it, I would greatly appreciate any assisstance.

-- Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mark T.

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Timing, Timing, and too much Timing.

Or a broken centrigfugal advance (spring?) in the distrubritor.

10 years on the car, sounds about time.

MIKE.....

Reply to
Michael

Except that the Caddy 4.1/4.5/4.9 never *HAD* springs in the distributor. The computer controls timing on those.

They are notorious for pounding like someone's sledge-hammering the pistons if the EGR valve sticks closed. Thats where I'd start.

Reply to
Steve

Without seeing and feeling it, it's hard to diagnose, but it sounds like you (the OP) could have a warped / bent driveshaft or bad universal joint. Check your driveshaft !!!

Reply to
john.masco