engine rocking and shaking?

When I installed the new ignition module and started the car it was idling off the scale on my hand held tachometer. turning the idling screw had no effect. the engine started vibrating and shaking wildly. the distributor was making a grinding noise. I turned off the ignition right away, only a few seconds. when I calmed down I started the engine again and it didn't shake. the idle speed was down to 1200 or so. I drove the car slowly to the neighbourhood garage and left it with them. When I got it back there was only a charge of 1/2 hr labour to set the idle and check the timing. there was a scraping noise at the front of the block, not noticabel from inside the car. I rmoved the water pump belt and pully, the upper timing belt cover, and centred the timing belt on the sprockets. the scraping noise disappeared. must have been the shaking.

the car is running fine now. but I'd curious to know why all that shaking was going on. its a Fetiva with a feedback carburettor and electonic ignition.

its cold here. I don't know if that's an issue. before starting the car I had the block heater plugged in for half an hour to warm it up.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

William R; I suspect that the failure of some cylinders to fire was due to the brief use of the block heater. Temperatures within an engine will vary from almost boiling next to the heat element to nearly ambient at the extremities,according to Temro the largest mfg. of block eaters. If a heat sensor is located near the block heater it will tell the computor that the engine is hot, as a result, the cold cylinders will get the wrong mixture and won't fire. With time and the brief run the temperatures equalised so the problem vanished.

One of the weaknesses of the block heater is that it depends on convection to circulate the heated coolant and this takes time.

Walt

Reply to
walt woytowich