engine swap 305 for 350

I need to know how much work is involved in swap I have a 1986 chevy 3/4 ton c20 pickup 2 wheel drive with a new crate

350 carb motor I also have a 1986 GMC 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with a bad 305 carb motor how much work will it take to swap out the 350? thanks for any info Don
Reply to
DonEllis

Are u going to junk the one with the 350 crate engine? And is it running ok in its preset pickup? S

Reply to
sdlomi2

yes it is running fine the cab is shot so out comes the motor due to the condition of the cab think I will junk the truck or part it out

Reply to
DonEllis

Should be a direct bolt in swap. IF it has a computer controlled carb just swap the computers around.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve's advice is good. You may end up having to put the 305 carb on the 350 as we know it is compatible with your 4x4 computer. But I'd try complete engine w/its own carb first. If it won't operate good, I'd try swapping carbs next. If it still operates bad, I'd swap carbs back AND swap computers as a last try, attempting by the earlier tries to keep the 4x4 computer with the 4x4 truck if at all possible. Luck to you and your new power and possibly better fuel mileage at the same time--best of both worlds! (A close friend put a Camaro 305 with tbi in his '86 S10 Blazer. At the same time, I put a Z28 350 with TPI [LT1] in my '86 Blazer. The 305 gets 13-16 mpg; 350 gets 18-23 mpg!!! Plus, the 305 has nowhere near the power of the 350.) s

Reply to
sdlomi2