engine temperature

My mileage needs improving on my 2000 astro van. I want to check my engine temperature with my Raytech thermometer. Where should I point it and what temperature should I expect to find. Seems the temperature gauge used to read in the center but now is a couple of marks below center. Its got me wondering about the thermostat.

Jim

Reply to
jim

check the radiator hoses as close to the engine as you can get; not sure which one is outlet on a Y2K, you might have a reverse flow cooling system, traditional would be upper though. You're looking for a temp. within a few degrees of thermostat opening temp which is probably about 192F.

nate

Reply to
N8N