Engine timing degrees at idle and respect to increasing RPM from idle.

I have question about engine timing degrees at idle and also timing degrees with respect to increasing RPM from idle. I have a 1989 Chevy K1500 350-TBI. I set the "base zero" degrees timing by disconnecting the brown wire located inside the engine compartment on the passages side. That worked out just fine. After reconnecting the base timing wire and resetting the ECM I notice the engine timing degrees set around 30 degrees at idle, that not right or is it? I would expect the timing to be set around eight degrees at idle. Ramping up the engine RPM from ideal, the timing momentary goes to zero degrees (very quickly) then back to about 30 degrees and stays there with no real linear movement along the increasing RPM. Has anybody experience anything like this before???? There are two parts to this puzzle, the distributor module and some other electronic box located next to the TBI. Could one or both of these be bad? Thank Byron Taradena Tucson, AZ.

Reply to
B Taradena

Mike Walsh

My '88 GM 2.8 runs about 33-35° advance at idle as commanded by the ECM. I've verified this by looking at the timing tables in the EPROM as well.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

My '89 GM 2.8 runs between 15-20 degrees advance at idle as verified by my Snap-On Scanner....

Reply to
OldsFan4Ever