Erratic Idle - Chugging when in gear??

I've got a '94 Nissan Sentra that doesn't idle very smooth. When in gear it chugs to the point you can actually feel it jerking you a bit. However, as soon as you step on the gas it zips right along fine. When it's in park it's not near as bad, but it definately feels like it's missing or something.

At this point I've changed plugs and wires, pcv valve, and air filter. It seemed to help some, but certainly hasn't fixed the problem. I'm thinking about replacing the dist. cap and rotor, but if that were the problem wouldn't it still act up even when going down the road?

Any help is appreciated,

Brad

Reply to
top1percent

Hi Brad

I don't know if this will help but my daughter had the same problem with her Pugeot and after various garages and various bills later I found a split Vacuum Hose, we replace it and the chugging went. Her symptoms were, chugging at low speed, chugging at low deceleration but it disapeared on acceleration.

Tony

Reply to
tonymalcolm770

...and if Tony's diagnosis is correct, you can find that vacuum leak by spraying, via a mist, WD-40 along the vacuum hoses/sources. When it hits the leak, the engine will suddenly smooth out and idle speed will increase slightly. HTH, and Merry Christmas. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

i have the same problem in an older volvo that has a brand new electrical system, including distributor and rotor. I've checked everything except the exhaust system, so it sounds like the best place to look. My parents car also suffered a similar problem, theirs came down to a worn out gasket in the exhaust manifold

Reply to
shannon_joshua