Error codes on Honda Accord (2004)

My "check engine" light in my 2004 Honda Accord (4 cyl) came on a while ago, and I got Autozone to read the error codes. There were 3, and they all seem related:

P0141 - 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2) P0453 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input P2422 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Vent Shut Valve Close Malfunction

My guess is one component on the emission side is causing all three codes. Does anyone have an idea of what the actual cause could be?

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

On 8/21/2008 9:31 AM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake these words of knowledge:

Some years back I got P0141; I replaced the o2 sensor (the rear one) and it went away, never to return. But I didn't get the other two, so I don't suppose that would solve your problem. It might be a good place to start. It cost me 50-something dollars, and I had to buy a wrench for $5 or $6 to remove the sensor itself.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:dc3488c2-81ff-4f21-a768-b1a67f5870f5 @s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

The first one is totally unrelated to the other two. It means your secondary oxygen sensor needs to be replaced.

The other two have to do with the EVAP system and need to be diagnosed properly to determine if in fact they are related to the same component. Honda put the EVAP canister under the rear of the car, a strange location that exposes the highly-sensitive hardware to water and salt.

Reply to
Tegger

This is because the computer believes that the oxygen sensor indicated has an open heating coil. Get an ohmmeter and measure it... if it really is open, replace the sensor. Otherwise find the break in the wiring.

I don't think these have anything to do with the 02 sensor, and my suspicion is that it is is clog in one of the EVAP lines or in the canister, rather than a break in them. I'd jack up the rear and check to make sure all the lines are intact, and I'd check the canister as well.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Another thing I've been noticing recently is that when I fill up, the gas cap makes a big suction noise when I first take it off. Also, while I'm filling up, the fill sensor (or whatever you call it) on the nozzle gets triggered about every 2 gallons, even when I start from empty.

Could that be indicative of a clog in the evap system?

Thanks again for the help... Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

Yes. Check the evap valve. If the car were a decade old, I'd suggest just changing the canister and valve sight-unseen, but there's really no reason to do that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Probably the connector or the wiring to the second O2 sensor has a problem. Check the connection first, a little corrosion in there can set this.

Both problems are caused by the same item, The EVAP vent solenoid valve is stuck closed or the line going to the canister is plugged/kinked. That causes a build up of pressure in the tank that sets the 0453 code and the stuck valve itself is causing the 2422 code. Replace the valve or canister line and that problem will go away.

I would bet you hear a noise when you open the tank fill as well, that is the built up pressure getting out.

Not related parts. Saying one is causing the other would be like saying dropping a hammer on your foot caused the problem.

Does anyone have an idea of what the actual cause could be?

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
man of machines

Like fuse #18?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 wrote in news:nonelson- snipped-for-privacy@news.mil.sbcglobal.net:

Stupid me. I never even thought of that. I'll shut up now.

Reply to
Tegger

Then the other O2 sensor would also be reporting heater problems.

Reply to
Steve B.

Reply to
man of machines