Ethanol was a "Mistake" says Al Gore

ATHENS, Greece -- Former Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in Europe that he supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation caucuses state of Iowa.

Speaking at a green energy business conference in Athens sponsored by Marfin Popular Bank, Gore said the lobbyists have wrongly kept alive the program he once touted.

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first-generation ethanol," Reuters quoted Gore saying of the policy that is about to come up for congressional review. "First-generation ethanol I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small.

"One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president," the wire service reported Gore saying.

Ethanol is made by extracting sugar from corn, an energy-intensive process. The ethanol industry will consume about 41 percent of the corn crop this year, or 15 percent of the global corn crop, according to Goldman Sachs analysts.

A food-versus-fuel debate erupted in 2008, as a result of record food prices, in which the biofuel industry was criticized for helping stoke food prices.

Gore supported so-called second generation technologies which do not compete with food, for example cellulosic technologies which use chemicals or enzymes to extract sugar from fiber for example in wood, waste or grass

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, he has apparently become a little more honest than a lot of the politicians.

This project was simply pimping for the farmers and large companies involved in this business.

It is a bit misleading to say that the technology to make alcohol involves extracting sugar from corn or wood or grass...Misleading but not totally incorrect. Cellulose and starch can be broken down to sugars and those can easily be fermented. You can take cellulose from a pine tree and hydrolyze it to sugars which can then be fermented.

But this is just semantics.

Below the double line, this was a double "pork" project.

Alcohol can be a great fuel for engines set up for it. But this was pokum hokum from the beginning.

Reply to
hls

I think the key phrase is this: "The energy conversion ratios are at best very small." That right there is why ethanol subsidies are bad policy. If that were NOT the case, then they would make sense.

nate

Reply to
N8N

No he's not. he's in for himself and there is no reason for him not to throw the corn farmers under the bus now. He likely wants to start looking more reasonable to protect his potentional billions in profits from the carbon credits fraud.

Reply to
Brent

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y30g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

If that were NOT the case, you wouldn't need subsidies in the first place; we'd have been burning ethanol since the '20s.

Reply to
Tegger

Owl Gourdhead IS a Mistake. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Check who the biggest investor in the Chicago Carbon Exchange is...er, was...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Check who the biggest investor in the Chicago Carbon Exchange is...er, was...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Check who the biggest investor in the Chicago Carbon Exchange is...er, was...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

you got that dead right - and carbon credits are indeed a fraud.

Reply to
jim beam

stoke food prices indeed. with the agri-commodity industry, oil industries [and of course speculators], behind it every step of the way.

it's the only thing that makes any sense. but notice how little agri-commodity and speculator interest there is in a scheme where they have no market presence, and for which the raw materials are pretty much unlimited and thus non-profitable.

bottom line - cellulosic ethanol will quietly die a death. the burning of food, with all the fuel, fertilizer, machinery, tax subsidy and speculation potential that it entails, will continue to receive political backing.

Reply to
jim beam

indeed.

Reply to
jim beam

I reckon Brazil is doing quite well with their vehicles which run on alcohol. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

YEP, and they also don't have the regulations and bureaucratic crap to deal with.... Oh and consider that they have absolutely no where near the numbers of vehicles running on it, they run a LOT of diesel vehicles there.

Reply to
Steve W.

They got serious about this years ago because they didnt have enough petroleum in country. I was there a couple of years ago, and the taxi I took from Rio de Janeiro airport was a tri fuel model.. Could run on LNG, alcohol, or gasoline, IIRC.

They no longer have a shortage of fuel, due to new petroleum finds but also due to being agressive about alternate fuel.

Reply to
hls

Brazil uses sugar cane to make ethanol and that is an entirely different ballgame than corn. Unlike corn, the sugar cane plant material itself fuels the conversion process. This alone makes the energy balance better and since sugar isn't a vital food product such as grains like corn using doesn't result in starving people (so long as it isn't displacing food crops of course).

Reply to
Brent

That is exactly right. .Sugar cane requires no fertilizer and produces a lot of fermentable carbohydrates. Mandioca is also a crop of interest.

We dont want to displace the cachac,a of course.

Reply to
hls

On the web, The Diesel fuel trees in Brazil

There is a guy in Hawaii who is growing some of those trees.Or so I once read about, a few years ago. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In ancient times ethanol was known as an intoxicating drink. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Other studies suggest that using ethanol can slow global warming.

LOL

Reply to
Bret