Excessive crank, 2007 Saturn Aura XR with 171K miles

I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've had it s ince the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. The f ollowing problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: When ever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it does n't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. Af ter a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -

- car is low on fuel

- engine is turned off

- tank is filled

- attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of cranking

- 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to start

I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past sever al months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIM E. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might b e going on?

Reply to
Shawn

Next time you fill up, leave the gas cap off. Does it crank quickly then?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks! I'll try that.

Reply to
Shawn

it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles.  The following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 month s:  Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the c ar it doesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excess ively.  After a few tries it finally starts up.  To put it concisely -

eral months.  Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever.  The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OT HER TIME.  Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starti ng except for when I top it off with fuel.  Anyone have any thoughts on w hat might be going on?

could be your vapor return line.

Reply to
m6onz5a

that's what I was thinking, or a saturated charcoal canister.

Does it start quicker under the same conditions if you use the "clear flooding" method of starting (that is, hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking?)

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. The following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -

months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

Are you packing the tank, or removing the hose the first time it clicks off?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Hmm, I've never tried the "clear flooding" method. I'll have to it that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your insight!

Reply to
Shawn

t since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. Th e following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: W henever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it d oesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -

veral months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. T he only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting exc ept for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what migh t be going on?

By packing the tank I assume you mean putting in enough gas to fill the tan k "neck." Well, no, as soon as the pump clicks off I remove the nozzle.

Reply to
Shawn