Exhaust leak?

Quick question. I have a Daewoo Leganza, 2001. The weekend, I was in the country driving and the car lost a lot of acceleration. When I jammed the gas pedal down, the car's engine raced up but there was hardly any acceleration. I felt the transmission shift at the appropriate speeds.

There is a whooshing/exhaust leak sound coming from under the engine. At high speeds, it sounds like a whooshing. At idle, it sounds like an open flex pipe.

The engine did not heat up at all even though I drove it this was for about

200 miles to get home. At about 63 miles per hour, there was a high pitch whistle and I had to back it down to stop it. At around 65 mph, the car started to buck.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Do you think I have a clogged catalytic converter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Frank

Reply to
Frank

Sure sounds like it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Fixed the flex pipe and the car doesn't run over 20 miles per hour. Looks like the converter is shot. Waiting for one to get shipped to me in a few days...

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I'd replace the O2 sensor as well, just in case a bad sensor was throwing off the f/a ratio. Might even have the car tuned up/emissions checked after you are done just to make sure that there's nothing going on that will kill your new cat.

nate

Frank wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel