Exhaust pipe

1948 Pontiac, straight 8 Had to move the exhaust system about an inch to get to the rear engine moun ts. System was installed (welded) by a muffler shop as one continuous exhau st pipe, muffler and tail pipe. Pain in the rear to remove all the hangars and the exhaust manifold/pipe connection in order to pry the system aside one inch. Now I need to replace the round manifold/pipe gasket. Considering simply c utting the exhaust pipe with a saws-all, unbolting short remaining exhaust pipe, replacing bad gasket and then installing a 'flex pipe' or other remov able pipe at the place where I made the cut. Note that with the system totally unbolted, said system only drops down abo ut 1/2 inch, not enough for exhaust pipe to slide of the bolts without cons iderable prying. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you, Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Cut it and use a band clamp to reconnect it. Like this

Can be found at most parts stores. Be sure you get the ones for a butt joint.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thank you Steve.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

No sweat. That style clamp is great, unlike the U clamps you don't end up with crushed pipes and you can do butt connections. They come off clean and are reusable even here in salt country!

Reply to
Steve W.