Explorer slips out of gear when cold

This Explorer XL, either a 92 or a 93 with the 4.0 and an automatic, 150k, has a strange problem. When it has not been driven for a while, the transmission will randomly slip into neutral while driving, usually uphill. In order to get it moving again, it is necessary to shift into park (neutral is not sufficient), race the motor for approximately 10 seconds, and then shift back into drive. Shifting directly to park and then back into drive is not sufficient either. The problem is completely eliminated by allowing the motor to warm up until the thermostat opens before driving it, i.e. it has never slipped out under this condition. This has been going on for at least 10,000 miles. It acts the same in 4x4. The transmission has been maintained with new fluid as required.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if there are any known computer or control system issues out there, but I suspect the torque converter. The problem is mostly annoying rather than serious, so more invasive diagnosis isn't really justified. I'm also wondering if it is likely to be doing any damage when it pops out of gear or not.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

Has the trans fluid been flushed at least twice in the 150k miles? I don't mean topped off.

Reply to
John S.

The "Manual Lever Position Sensor" (formerly known as the Neutral Safety Switch) may have worn-out its wiper contacts inside. It can signal the electronic controls that the operator has placed the gear selection lever in the Neutral position, even when you have not actually done so. No fault code is set, because placing the lever in neutral while driving is a valid possibility. Happened on my '93 Crown Vic at about 110,000 miles. Bend over and smile when you ask for a new one. What used to be a three-dollar switch is now about $80 US.

Reply to
the fly